For many of us and our pets, the sweet arrival of springtime signifies warmer weather and longer daylight hours — which translates to more time outside! If you have pets and plan to spend time sprucing up your garden this spring, there are a few things you need to know.
Many popular plants, flowers and gardening products can be toxic to cats and dogs. If you think your pet has ingested something toxic in your garden, contact your veterinarian right away. To help ward off potential poisoning problems (and for other advice), check out the gallery below.
1. Many common plants and flowers are toxic to animals.
Hyacinths (pictured here), lilies, daffodils, sago palms, tulips, and begonias — just to name a few — can be and, therefore, should never be planted in the spring garden of a pet-owning home. Instead, opt for nontoxic plants like African violets or magnolias. For more extensive lists of plants and flowers that are and aren’t dangerous to animals, visit the .
2. Plenty of garden products can be problematic.
Certain products like and metaldehyde- and iron-based snail baits can be extremely toxic or even deadly to animals. Signs of poisoning may include drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors and death. Even insecticides and herbicides (weed killers) can cause harm if not used correctly. Check out Dr. Tina Wismer’s expert advice on these risks.
3. Even organic substances can be toxic.